Forest School is an inspirational process that offers ALL learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees.
Forest School is a specialised learning approach that sits within and complements the wider context of outdoor and woodland education.
‘Forest School is a feeling you can’t put into words.’ Tonicha, aged 9
The ethos is shared by thousands of trained practitioners across the UK and beyond. Its roots reach back to early years pioneers in outdoor learning and across the sea to Scandinavia.
‘I don’t have ADHD when I’m out in the woods.’ David, aged 14
At Forest School all participants are viewed as:
- equal, unique and valuable
- competent to explore and discover
- entitled to experience appropriate risk and challenge
- entitled to choose, and to initiate and drive their own learning and development
- entitled to experience regular success
- entitled to develop positive relationships with themselves and other people
- entitled to develop a strong, positive relationship with their natural world
There are more images of Forest School activity in our Outdoor Learning Photo Gallery.
The Forest School Association
The Forest School Association (FSA) is the professional body and dedicated voice for Forest School within the UK. We are devoted to promoting quality Forest School for all.
To do this we:
- Communicate a strong, clear vision of what Forest School is
- Develop and maintain the curriculum content for approved Forest School qualifications
- Work together to increase opportunities for people to experience quality Forest School in the UK
- Provide a central point for collecting, storing and sharing information about Forest School and good practice in Forest School (including notes on good practice, advice on choosing leaders, and advice on choosing trainers
- Stimulate, store and share practitioner and academic research and learn from it
- Work collaboratively with other organisations with similar goals and in related areas
Who can join?
We are an inclusive, forward-looking and democratic membership organisation. We are open to all levels of Forest School professional and all those interested in providing and growing opportunities for people to experience quality Forest School within our UK nations.
Our members are regularly updated and consulted by the association’s working groups. We hope that our members feel empowered and inspired to join our working groups, to contribute to all areas of activity and to shape the direction of their association.
Please join our efforts to ensure a future of quality Forest School for all in the UK. You’ll be part of an active, focused community, and there are also a growing number of specific member benefits.
Please contact Gareth Davies: email@example.com